Sesame and Miso Broth
- 6g bonito flakes
- 250ml soy sauce
- 250ml sesame dressing
- 1/3 cup sweetened dried soy beans, chopped; or sweetened red bean paste
- 2 tbsp hatcho miso
- 1 lily root, peeled, or 35g soaked dried lily bulb
- 200g honey yam, peeled and chopped
Seared Wagyu Beef
- 3 tbsp hatcho miso
- 125ml sake
- 125ml mirin
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cracked pepper
- 4 x 100g wagyu sirloin steaks, trimmed, fat reserved
- For the Sesame and Miso Broth, place bonito, soy sauce, sesame dressing, soy beans or red bean paste and miso, along with 1L water, into a medium saucepan, place over high heat and bring to the boil. Boil for 10 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan, add lily root and honey yam and cook for 20 minutes until tender. When cooked, remove the lily root and honey yams from the broth and set aside, keeping warm, until ready to serve.
- Strain the broth through a fine sieve and set aside in a jug, keeping hot, until ready to serve.For the Seared Wagyu Beef, place miso, sake, mirin, sugar, pepper and 2 tablespoons of water in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Add the beef to the bowl and set aside to marinade for 20 minutes.
- Place a large frypan over medium high heat, add beef fat and allow the fat to render. Add the steaks and sear for 2 minutes on one side. Turn and sear for 2 minutes on the other side. Remove the steaks from the pan and set aside, loosely covered, to rest for 7 minutes before slicing.
- To serve, divide the lily root and honey yams equally amongst 4 serving bowls. Add a little of the pickled daikon on top. Slice each rested steak into 1cm slices across the grain and lay on top. Serve with the Sesame and Miso Broth in a jug on the side.